Saturday, September 15, 2007

ACL Day One - Hotter than a Trailer on Fire

Austin TX, Austin City Limits Music Festival
Day One, 14-SEP-2007

A little after my arrival at Zilker Park, a fire broke out in a food service trailer . Soon, an ominous black cloud of smoke was seen from all points in the field. There were some injuries reported by the news stations (4), but what with the potential for propane and propane accessories to rupture and explode, it could have been far, far worse. Honestly though, the Texas heat wasn't nearly as bad as it was two years ago. The 94 degrees or so was quite bearable.


In some kind of sequential order, here are some of the highlights of Day One for me:
  • First act of the day for me: Joseph Arthur & the Lonely Astronauts. These guys really rocked. I caught about 1/2 of their set, and it whetted my appetite for the musical smörgåsbord ahead of me. Arthur has some ace guitar chicks in his band.
  • After JA's set I caught some shade and a bit of Spiritual fulfillment from the sounds of: The Wonderful Harmonizers in the WaMu tent.
  • Caught a full set by Blonde Redhead, followed by an autograph session with the band at the Waterloo Records tent. All very gracious, not to mention very patient artists. They said they were coming back to Chapel Hill soon to my joy.
  • While waiting in line at the auto tent, caught the familiar 80's sounds of Crowded House's "Don't Dream It's Over." I love the song, but honestly, it was the only one I wanted to hear. It's also the only Crowded House song I know.
  • Saw a bit of Joss Stone's act, but mostly walked about, milling about killing time before...
  • Spoon! Playing to essentially a hometown crowd, Britt Daniel and company really put on a great set, drawing a good deal from their latest Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. Bonus: I met a really cool couple from Bee Cave, Lance and Jill.
  • Afterwards, we made our way to the food court and hung out while listening to Rev. Horton Heat spread his evangelistic mix of psychobilly voodoo. I heard that the good Reverand was a late addition to the line-up... and I for one, was glad of that.
  • Somewhere along the way, the Texas sun decided to set, and after getting some refreshing beverages, we made our way over to the AMD stage for The Killers. We met some more cool people and opted to simply hang out while the throng of people made their way to the exit.
  • The walk down Barton Springs which brimmed with a cacophony of conversation, some en Espanol. People seemed very happy and also very tired. A few sleeping children were being pushed along in strollers, some with rosier-than-normal cheeks.
  • A cinnamon sno-cone from Molly's while waiting for the CAP Metro bus.
Day Two is on the way... I'm quite tired and unable to type effectively due to a bloody bee wasp! sting on my left middle finger. Joy.

Cheers,
b.s.

No comments: