Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Katrina

I've been looking at images of Katrina's aftermath on New Orleans and the Gulf Coast of Mississippi. It's heart-breaking. We were just down there not even a month ago, visiting L's family in Baton Rouge and Lafayette, LA. Lack of time prevented sight-seeing in the Big Easy, but "No worries," I thought. "There'll be other times."

Little did we know that within a month, Katrina would have reduced it to a cesspool.

I have other recent memories of the Gulf Coast of Mississippi. On our way back from Austin in March, my folks and I had what I consider the best roast beef Po' Boys in the World. They were at a place called Pirate's Cove, in Pass Christian, MS. They trucked their bread in every day from New Orleans. (I believe this was the secret to their success.) But it doesn't matter now, I doubt Pirate's Cove or the bakery are still standing.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Louisiana. You too, Mississippi.

No comments: