Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Perspectives

I went to college that didn't have a basketball team. Or... then again, maybe we did and they just weren't that good. We were a hockey-playing school, and that’s the story I’m sticking to.

But ever since I began dating a lovely UNC graduate, I have been “grafted” into the vine of Tarheel-dom. And like many, I’ve been caught up, enraptured, if you will, with the recent string of UNC victories in not only the ACC Tournament, but also their recent run at the NCAA title, which was cut short Sunday evening with a loss to Georgetown.

The Carolina hopeful were certainly downtrodden with this bitter loss. But come Monday morning, all of this seemed so… trifle. This was, after all, a game. But a senior named Jason Ray, a young man that spirited the crowd by way of the plush suit of Rameses, lost his life, not even a day after the defeat. He had been struck by an SUV on Friday and had been in and out of a coma for 3 days.

It certainly helps put things in proper perspective.
My heart goes out to the family of Jason Ray.

[story here]

No comments: