Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Austin

My baby and I are traveling to Austin, TX in the morning! My aunt and uncle live there, and it just so happens to be that time of year when thousands of people from around the world descend upon Zilker Park for the annual Austin City Limits Festival. This is the first year for either of us, and truthfully, I'm unsure what to expect, but with my baby with me, we'll no doubt have a blast. Some expected highlights will be: Wilco, Arcade Fire, The Fiery Furnaces, Rilo Kiley, Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, Black Crowes, et cetera. I could keep going on and on... and I could no doubt make all kinds of fancy links with the band names... but I'm only going to bother with Wilco.

I keep reminding myself that the trip isn't just about getting my rock on at an outdoor music festival to beat outdoor music festivals... it's more about family. My uncle suffers from ALS, commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease.


It's fatal.
There's no cure.


I don't want to look back and see a missed oppurtunity to spend time with him. Although we're going to the festival, it will be important to simply visit with him and get to know a man that was for many years very distant, not only physically, but emotionally as well.

But not tomorrow. Tomorrow, my baby and me will be in Texas. I can hardly wait!

No comments: