Tuesday, October 11, 2005

"I Know I've Been Changed"

There's a hymn that Tom Waits sings in concert. I've never seen him perform it live, but I've heard it by way of bootleg recordings. The name of the hymn is "I Know I've Been Changed". A sample lyric:

"I know I got religion,
Lord knows I'm not ashamed
Oh a holy ghost is my witness,
and the angels gonna sign my name"
It's the song that is stuck in my head right now as I'm trying to make sense of all that I've seen and done last week. The Samaritan's Purse director told us that we would return home changed people. I was sure of it then, but now, having had a couple days to process it all, I know I'm not the same person I was just a little over a week ago.

Back in the mundane world of photogrammetry, it all seems so temporal. The work I'm paid to do is tedious and boring. I'm not sure how long I'll feel this way, but I do know that I'm not fully present at work. My mind is way, way, south of here. I would much rather be working in the muck and the mud rather than staring at this monitor. I want to have a Godly perspective on this experience, and not shun away from my present responsibilities, but am unsure how to decompress.

All I know is that I've been changed.

No comments: