Monday, January 08, 2007

First Love


When I was coming of age musically, REM was hands-down my first love. I well recall listening to their LPs on my record player, memorizing lyrics, and simply devouring everything that REM had to offer. A member of the REM fan club for years, the annual Holiday Package was something I eagerly awaited every year in late November / December.

First loves come and go, and I confess I don't play their music as often as I once did. I'm not sure when it happened exactly, but the torch I carried for them was handed off to another. That said, think I'll dust off my LPs tonight and give them a spin.

Thanks, REM.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

First love, indeed. I was into Michael Stipe when he was dating Natalie Merchant. I saw R.E.M. in concert when his hair was long and curly.

Memories...su-weet memories...

bigshoulders said...

That's funny. I saw them for the first time in '95 I think it was...but the first time I ever saw Stipe, he joined Natalie on-stage at a 10,000 Maniacs Concert. He was incognito with a ball cap pulled low over his face, but when he started singing, there was no mistaking who it was.

sweet memories, indeed!

Danielle said...

The first time I saw 10,000 Maniacs, I was 17.

They were opening up for Squeeze. The venue was the old Veterans Hall in Mesa, Arizona.

A cat convention had been there the week before.